April 12, 2017

Second-Hand Love



Whether it be vintage shops, eBay or depop, there's no better feeling than finding a beautiful second hand item that you know you won't get in every other high-street store.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I love high-street shopping and owning a piece of clothing that's brand new and immaculate, but it doesn't quite compare to the thrill of owning an item that nobody else has, does it?... okay, someone out there will, but you get what I mean.

I get that some people aren't into thrift shopping, which is understandable - not everyone likes the idea of wearing something that's been previously owned by God knows who and been God knows where (I'll let your imagination wander), but for me, and I'm sure plenty of you would agree, second-hand clothes, books, whatever it may be, tell a story like no newly-owned item can.

All through my teen years, I've had the pleasure of experiencing what it's like to have an eye for finding a bargain or two - I probably get it from my mother who spends 4 hours minimum in TKMaxx eyeing up every. single. piece of clothing making sure she doesn't miss out on a deal and a half.
I've never particularly warmed to TKMaxx, though. I find it too messy and they rarely have clothes to my taste. Each to their own I guess, but I've always been more of a vintage shop lover - baggy t-shirts, suede jackets and a good old pair of Levis that have aged 40 years or more will always be the key to my heart.

Faux fur, suede, leather, whatever it may be, has saved us all, and I'm relieved, to say the least, that there's an alternative to wearing animal by-products. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of a shearling coat, but when it comes down to, 'where has this actually come from?' it sends shivers down my spine, which is why I'm so glad that I can now feel not so guilty when indulging in a new leather shoulder bag or fur coat knowing it's totally fake and no poor animal has had to suffer at our selfish expense. Everywhere I look seems to be in some sort of faux-craze - Missguided, ASOS, Topshop, in fact, the list is endless and I'm sure you all get the gist. 
But I have to say, nothing makes me happier than a second-hand faux suede/fur coat purchase that captures the look of the 80's perfectly (of course, the decade of my all time favourite Guns N' Roses).

Anyway, before I lose track and start waffling on about my undying love for GNR, it just so happens that I stumbled across the most beautiful coat I have ever seen which matched my description of what I believe to be perfect down to a T.
It's so incredibly warm and keeps me more snug than any other coat ever has. It somehow manages to go with every outfit I wear which is such a massive bonus as it means I can wear it to death - there's nothing worse than buying a jacket that is only suited to specific occasions. Dressed down or dressed up, I know it'll always be the first thing I reach for before stepping out of the door.














SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig